Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thankful

I am sitting here after catching up on my friend Sarah's blog. She is so inspirational to me. She has it "all together" and is always so positive. (She even built a house and requested NO dishwasher be installed, its been YEARS and I still can't get over that. I panic every time ours goes on the fritz.)
Anyhow, tonight she has reminded me of the things in life that you can be thankful for. It doesn't have to be huge. She reminded me you can be thankful for things like warm, cozy socks. I am currently wearing pink chenille socks to keep my toes warm.
I am thankful for the cute things that come from my children's mouths. Tonight Aspen was playing with baby Zane, who isn't always an easy baby. She is so patient with him, and held him and paced the floor with him the other night while I finished prepping dinner. I told her she could lay him down, he wouldn't get hurt if he cried for 10 minutes, but she couldn't bear the thought. So, back to tonight. She is playing with him, eating his belly. And I say to her, Aspen, you are going to be such a good "Mommy" She looks at me and says, Mom, I can't be a Mommy, I have NO CLUE how you guys get babies into your tummys. Ya honey, we will have that chat later! I find it so sweet and precious that the fact she is 6 has nothing to do with why she cant be a Mommy.
I am thankful for caffeine. Some days, I just need it!
I am thankful for CD Players and IPods. The radio with its ads just makes me crazy. I get frustrated when I can't find a song I like playing. (silly I know)
I am thankful that marriage is a learning process forever. This afternoon I was feeding Zane and watching a repeat of 7th Heaven on the Hallmark Channel. One of their kids was talking about how by the time you are married a year, you know all there is to know about each other, and the conversation must get pretty boring. I thought to myself, well, even though I know all there is to know about Farren, our conversations don't get boring. We can argue politics and gay rights. We talk about the kids and people at work. (his work) Well, tonight I was proven wrong and reminded that we will ALWAYS be learning new things about each other. My husband does not know how to snap his fingers. He just can't do it. I had NO idea. I thought everyone could snap. So, I am thankful, that after 8 1/2 years of marriage, that we are still learning about each other, and enjoying the heck out of the process.
I am thankful for all 4 of my children, even though I can't hug and kiss Savannah everyday like I do Kyson, Aspen, and Sage; I am thankful that I am so lucky to have been chosen to have her. I miss her, and I wish she were here with us, but I am thankful for the time we had with her. I am thankful for how her death strengthened our marriage, when it causes most couples to divorce. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT thankful she died, but I am thankful for the lessons she has taught me, and I am thankful that I am a better, more compassionate person because of her.
I am thankful that my friend and neighbor, Angie, is doing well after her heart surgery that came very unexpectedly.
I am thankful for so many things. Little and big. I think that we, society as a whole, forget sometimes to be thankful for the things we have. I am thankful to have such great friends who remind me to be thankful for the little or unexpected things in life.
And after trying to fix it a gazillion times, I am NOT thankful that this post wont double space between paragraphs!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have it all together? HA! If you visited me for even an hour, you would realize you are sadly mistaken. lol
You remembering the dishwasher thing cracks me up!
I always think you have it all together. Especially with your kids, they seem to play and get along so well with each other.

I loved this post, especially the part about Savannah. You're so strong Emily.

vickicon said...

I love your post too. I'm thankful you're such a good mom and daughter.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I also always think you are the one who has it together. You are always doing things for your kids. You are such a great mom. I loved reading your blog, it gave me goosebumps.